Sunday, October 25, 2015

Sister Tilby's update

'm too lazy to write out a weekly email, but here what Soeur Tilby
has to say about our week lol.

Bonjour tout le monde!!

This week was a good one. But a cold one. The weather, let me tell
you, is like a thousand little ice warrior fairies clawing at every
inch of your uncovered skin. And it's only October.
Ladies and Gentlemen,
We are in for a frigid winter.

I can handle the cold, but this is like cold wind. The wind is what
gets me. It's the kind of cold that hurts, and you can wear as many
clothes as you want, but if it's hitting any part of you, it chills
your whole body. My nose is always pink now๐Ÿ˜‚ but hey, I'm just trying
to be like Rudolf.

Monday:
Fun day of rest, emails, cleaning, and shopping! We went to Tati and
Kiabi (two French stores) and just looked around and got a couple of
things. It was just fun to shop at French stores. And I got a nice
little organizer thing for my desk so now I feel set☺️

Tuesday:
We had another lesson with Nadege where we read 2 Nephi 31 and
discussed the Doctrine of Christ. Soeur Chantriaux came with us again
and I was so happy she did! She is a very powerful testifier and a
great addition to the lesson. She also is really wonderful with
Nadege's daughter, Leena. Let me tell you, that baby is the cutest
thing ever. This rendezvous she was playing with me like the entire
lesson, it was so hard to focus. She would hand me a toy, and I'd put
it on my head, and then she'd take it and do the same thing and just
scream and laugh and squeal and my heart would just melt.
Babies are my weakness. She kept copying everything I did too. We
played a little telephone game where I talked into one toy and said
"Allo??" And she would say "ALLOOO?" Back and then I'd say "Ca va??"
And she would repeat and it was the just the cutest little thing ever.
Also she was dancing and twirling for me the entire. If there's
anything that would make it harder to concentrate on a lesson than an
adorable little black baby girl with big brown eyes wanting to play
with you, please tell me. I can't think of anything.
I just love that girl.
Okay but I'm making it sound worse than it was. Hahaha I was actually
very engaged in the lesson as well. Multitasking people. It's a
necessary missionary skill. Leena needed attention so she wouldn't
scream and meanwhile we were talking about faith, repentance, baptism,
and enduring to the end. It was a really good discussion and we found
out that she has already been baptized twice into some other churches.
But she seems to be understanding a little more about why it must be
done under the correct authority and in the same way as Christ was
baptized. She is very eager to learn and is already developing an even
more powerful testimony than she had before.

Wednesday:
We had our DMP (Dirigeant de mission de parroise/Ward mission leader)
meeting with the other sisters and us and the DMP and some funny stuff
went down. We report each of our Amis to him and their progress so
that he can help with coordinating members and make sure that we are
spending our time with the Amis in the most effective way possible.
So Soeur Kemp was telling him about one of their inactive members and
she said, "Et uhhhh, Elle manque une jambe." And they all just looked
mortified and were so confused๐Ÿ˜‚ but anyways that's why she's inactive
now... She can't really physically make it to church.
Also, Soeur Chantriaux, the wife of the DMP, she commented on how all
of our Amis are colored... As in black, and so Soeur Welter piped up
and said, "JJ (our British recent convert) est pas noir!!" And we all
laughed pretty good at that one.

On this day of Christmas my true love family sent to me, a package
with all the best things!!๐ŸŽถ๐ŸŽถ๐Ÿ˜๐ŸŽ‰
My dear momma sent me a package and it was like Christmas getting it!
It had all of the things in it that just don't exist here that I've
been craving so far. Ranch packets, seasoning salt, garlic salt, corn
bread, sour patch kids, deep blue rub, throat coat tea, etc... There
was lots more and I just was so so excited!
She also sent me a picture album of my family and there were extras of
pictures so now I have them all hanging up on my wall and it's so
lovely!!

Thursday:
For our ami that just got baptized, Vanessa, we put together a picture
album with pictures of everyone that was at her baptism that I had
taken with my camera and with all of their testimonies that we had
them write on cards when she was getting ready after she was baptized.
So we went and printed out those pictures and then got that all
organized and i made a cute little cover and voila! We were finished!

Friday:
Our big rendezvous with Cherline got cancelled because she said she
was sick, so we went contacting some and found a new ami! Her name is
Amandine. We got her number but she was really busy so we didn't get a
time set up with her, so we have been trying to call her, and it's for
sure the right number, but hopefully we can get something set up soon.

That night we had my first real mangez-vous with Vanessa that night!
We went over early and helped her make the food. She's Peruvian so we
made a Peruvian dish with rice and chicken and potatoes and it was
really yummy. We had a good night with her and the Penverne family
that came too! They understand English really well so it's fun for me
to get to practice my French but they can also help with words that I
don't know and I can just immediately get an answer because they know
English too! They're an awesome family,
Also their son Paul is Vanessa's age and we want them to get
together๐Ÿ˜‰ we would have started an eternal family. Hahahaha they're
way cute together.

I also realized another thing most French people don't have, A
DISHWASHER!! They just wash them all by hand. We do too, I just
thought maybe we were just poor missionaries, but no. Just people do
everything by hand. It's crazy.
Also fridges are so so small here. I don't know how people live,
hahaha actually I do. They just shop way more frequently so things are
more fresh when they use them. It's interesting and way different than
America.

On our walk to Vanessa's house, the sky was Grey and dreary and there
was tons of moisture in the air because it was raining mist. I kid you
not. It literally just is like vapor gas falling from the sky, no
raindrops (it rains here too tons, no worries). But I looked down at
my jacket and realized that I was magically covered with Glitter! The
mist covers you from head to toe with what looks like fairy sparkle
dust! We were dazzling princesses! Haha so France mists sparkle dust.
No big.

Saturday:
We randomly had my second ever mangez-vous the very next day for lunch
at the Penvernes and it was delicious. She came out with the biggest
platter of meat I have ever had placed before me of all varieties
along with a big huge bowl of potatoes, sausage, and sauerkraut all
together and everything tasted divine. She is a really good cook. The
dish is called "spechroot" or something...
Oh and for dessert she fed us rasberry speculoos tiramisu. Delicious.

We had a rendezvous all set up with Nadege, but she called in sick too๐Ÿ˜ญ๐Ÿ˜ญ๐Ÿ˜ญ
So all we did was finish weekly planning and so that was it. It was
kinda upsetting, but hopefully she just feels better so we can get
some new rendezvous set up.


Sunday:
I have decided that French kids are my favorite kind of people. I love
them so much!
At the end of church, a little girl named Benedict followed me around
holding my hand and teaching me French. She even took pictures with me
and her brother and played with my hair! Hahahaha she also gave me a
paper airplane she had made that had a my little pony drawn on it. She
was pretty proud of it. Dang I love that little girl.

I've had lots of fun learning all the French members names. It's super
hard to even understand a name that would be an American name too
because of the crazy French accent. Like Katherine is pronounced
kat-reen with a French growly R.
Here's some French names:
N'Tukoso (en-too-co-zo  but we call him Entuck)
Nadege (nuh-dedge  with a softy dge)
Cherline (share-leen)
Amandine (ah-mahn-deen)
Benedict (Ben-ay-deect)
Nicanor (neec-an-oar)

It's pretty cool. Oh on that same note, we met a baby this week named
Le Prince Henry Michel (Le Pronce awnry mee-shell) ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚ and that's
only his first name!! African women and their babies. ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

That night we had another rendezvous with Madame Simone. She was
cussing up a storm the whole time because she was mad at her friend
Richard for not calling her when he didn't show up to help her move
her new furniture that she has bought.
Well we had our lesson with her about Chastity by reading the story of
Joseph and Potiphar's wife and how he chose to keep his integrity and
keep his virtue.
Well we got done and she was showing us the furniture and talking
about how she needed men to help her move the furniture and how she
wouldn't be able to do it now for weeks and she was pissed. Well we
offered to help her and she kept saying oh no oh no... It's fine.
But she started showing it to us and it ended up with us moving it for
her into place and setting it all up even though the glass see through
table was freaking heavy and super expensive.
All together with the four white leather chairs, the dining set was
about $5000. Each chair was $400. Be still my soul.

Anyways, here's the funny part. We get done moving this super super
heavy table onto the stand, and she was like "Wow, I can't believe we
did that. We had the strength of Joseph.. He was with us." ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚ and
she just kept saying it over and over and I was like... She didn't
exactly get the point of our lesson..... Hahahahahaha

Random Stuff/Funny Quotes Time:
As soeur missionaries in France, we like to play a game where we
excitedly identify each cat we see randomly on the street. We just
yell CAT, or CHAT!! And that's a point for us๐Ÿ˜Ž๐Ÿ˜ hahaha it can get
pretty intense. It's supposed to keep you alert.
"Look for clues--such as items in homes or yards, lettering on
clothing, or indications of children--to help you know how to begin
talking with people."  -PMG
So we look for clues... Like cats? Hahaha we are supposed to be always alert,
So we stay alert.

Here in France, it's pretty funny to see all the different movie
titles that we total have in America, except for they're in French.
Example:
La Reine de Neige: Frozen
Vice-Versa: Inside-Out
Nos Etoiles Contraire: The Fault in Our Stars
Agents Tres Speciaux (Code U.N.C.L.E)   Idk what it is in America...
Seul sur Mars: Alone on Mars    I think?!

No comments:

Post a Comment